Friday, November 6, 2009

Hackers hack.

Right, so, avoiding my blog and focussing on study isn't going as well as I'd hoped. In my defence, I only have one exam, and it's not like I haven't been doing anything. I'm just pacing myself.

Anyway, I discovered today (during a procrastination adventure) that my old Hotmail account appears to have been hacked. Or at least it was hacked. On or about Wednesday the 6th of May 2009 at 9:0o PM. How do I know this you ask? Excellent question.

The hacker sent two e-mails from my account to a number of people in my address book. And it would appear that the hacker was a 13-year-old male. Once again, how could I know this? Let's review the sent messages.

http://imgur.com/DCUW7.png

Oooh, burn. Luckily this was sent to someone I barely know. Which did make it a strange choice. But who am I to question the motives of a twisted e-mail account hacker. The highlight of his activity was the second email he sent.

http://imgur.com/d2wia.png

Brilliant, isn't it? This was sent to 6 people, all of whom are relatives of mine. Obviously the hacker found my contact group "Family" and used that as inspiration. Luckily, (somehow) it was marked as spam and never properly reached its intended audience. Although I did discover a reply from one of my cousins, sent about a month later, who expressed much confusion at my HIV e-mail.

The whole incident had me in hysterics. What an odd thing to do to someone. I have no clues as to who it was, and it hasn't been done since. None of my other online accounts been affected. I should probably update a few passwords though. I'm one of those people who uses the same password for a number of things.

It's given me a fantastic idea for some stand-up material. Evil spame. What if, instead of offering you penis enlargements and discount medication, spam went about destroying your life, telling family members you were HIV positive and e-mailing random acquaintances hate-filled letters.

Nigerians, eat your heart out.

And now, something that isn't spam.

1 comment: